Sunday, September 13, 2020

Dungeon wall part 1




I love volunteering for Make A Wish! Last year one of my kids wished to have a Jack and Sally ( nightmare before Christmas) playhouse. My partner and I wanted to replicate the fireplace in Jack Skellingtons home, but we had to keep it in budget. After some research we discovered we could get some inexpensive large sheet foam (4x8) from Home Depot and use a dremmell to create the brick. This is how it turned out 


So fun right?! For Halloween I wanted to create a dungeon/ bat cave in my entry way and decided to use the same process to create the faux brick walls. Heres is what you will need: 


1 4x8 sheet of foam 

Dremmel with guide and 1/8 inch drill bit

2 saw horses or something to brace foam 

Marker

Ruler

Black paint

Gray paint 

Vacuum


It creates a pretty big mess so I would recommend doing it in the garage or on the front lawn. 

place the foam on the saw horses, white side up then draw lines ( horizontal/ vertical) six inches apart



I use my dremmel to carve out the lines ( make sure to wear eye protection) for the bricks, here’s my dremmel set up 



Follow the lines Across and then down to create the bricks


Create notches to round out the bricks 



Then vacuum foam 



This is how it looks horizontally but remember you can do vertical too. 

Next I take a quart of  black paint and paint the whole thing black, make sure to get into all the nooks  and crannies 


Next I use a dry brush technique to highlight the bricks. 
I use a quart of gray paint, lightly dip the paint brush and then do a few brush strokes in a paper towel to get some excess off, then lightly brush with wide strokes across the bricks in different directions. I didn’t get pics of this part but here is what it looks like 


That’s it! 
In part 2 I will show you how to add fun items to create The full dungeon wall






















No comments:

Post a Comment