Friday, September 27, 2013

Witch's Hand



I just love this hand! I saw it on etsy but it was sold out so I thought, "I can make this!" Here are the details:
You will need:
Pencil
paper
scissors
floral wire
batting
thread and needle
muslin
crochet hook or chopstick
lace
antique button
black sweater sleeve or cable knee high socks or just regular knee high black socks
spider
hot glue
Black DMC floss (pearl)
Coffee
Wood Candlestick
Paint

I traced my hand onto some paper, making sure I spread out my fingers and then elongated each finger about 1 1/2 inches. I cut it out and then traced the hand onto some muslin. After cutting it out (folded muslin in half to make two hands) I sewed them together (1/4 inch seam) leaving an opening at the bottom turn the hand inside out, this can be difficult with the fingers ( i used a crochet hook to help or something pointy like a chopstick) be careful not to put a hole in the finger (if you do just sew it up with some thread, it adds character) I then dipped the hand in liquid coffee and then poured some grounds onto it and rubbed them in. I would drip water on the grounds to help them "melt" into the material. I then let it air dry. I took an old pair of cable knee socks and cut them making a tube 6 inches long. I found the lace at walmart and cut it the width of the sock all the way around. I found some pearl buttons at Joann's, I used a needle and thread to sew the lace and button on. I then cut the floral wire just long enough  to go in each of the 3 middle fingers so they met in the middle of the palm, then I stuffed the hand with batting (again the crochet hook or chopstick come in handy) the trick to getting the batting into the fingers is to not use too much batting, just tiny pieces. I found the spider at Michaels it came in a pack of 6 (they are glitter). I pinched the thumb and index finger together and used a thicker DMC floss (pearl)  to sew them together, i then hot glued the spider to the floss and then put the hand on a wood candle stick I got from Hobby Lobby (not pictured, right now its sitting on a cutex bottle) and painted it a turquoise blue (love it against the black) That's it! I thought about making some warts or adding a big ring, make it yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment